Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band -- Clear Spot


It took me a long time to "get" Beefheart. I've persisted for years. I knew there was something about this music and I just couldn't get into it. I kept hearing this guy who I could tell was the link between Howlin' Wolf and Tom Waits, but Trout Mask Replica just kept coming up on my iPod and I'd find myself skipping it every time. Then I came across this record about two years ago. It's considered by most people to be Beefheart's most accessible album and, as such, is often frowned upon by hardcore fans. I love it though. And it's opened my eyes and ears to the genius that is Beefheart. All of his records just blow my mind now. Finally. After over 30 years of trying to get into this music...I can't believe what I've been missing. But it's awesome to be able to find a "new" artist with such an enormous back catalog at this point in my life. It would wrong of me not to post this and deprive another soul of some of the best music ever recorded. If you're one of those people who doesn't get Captain Beefheart, take a listen to this album (it wouldn't hurt to play it very loud) and a guarantee you you'll be blasting the experimental stuff like "Tropical Hot Dog Night" through your headphones in weeks wondering why you've waited so long to let yourself love this...Stand outs are "Nowadays a Woman's Got to Hit a Man," "Bottle Neck Blues," "Circumstances," and "My Head is My Only House Unless it Rains."

Try. (w/ The Spotlight Kid!)

No comments:

Post a Comment