Thursday, April 28, 2011

Timber Timbre --Creep On Creepin' On


I was a little wary when I first heard the title to the latest Timber Timbre record. It was a little jokey for a band that sort of scares the bejesus out of me. I could not stop listening to their eponymous third record when it came out. It had dark violent lyrics about driving around with dead bodies in your trunk and digging up corpses with swiss army knives, all laid on top of this gothic americana/50s juke box music screeching and grinding into your mind. So when I heard the next album was gonna be called Creep on Creepin' On I wondered if the band's upward trajectory as one of my favorite bands might lose a little steam. Not so, this record is everything Timber Timbre was and more. This band will be really big someday, so see them in a tiny club now while you still can. We saw them in this little dinner theater here in the Big Apple a few weeks ago and it blew my mind. There was no light in the theater except for three red light bulbs on stage. The whole place was covered in red curtains. I felt like I was in the Bang Bang Bar on Twin Peaks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWnzgQb8-OI And then singer came out looking like a serial killer. Or the devil himself. I wondered several times if he sold his soul to the devil to become such an amazing performer, but then I looked around the bar and there were only like 40 other people there. It's fitting that the setting for this show reminded me so much of Twin Peaks because this new record could easily be the soundtrack to a David Lynch movie. It sounds like the band did nothing but have seances and listen to Angelo Badalamenti soundtracks and old Ritchie Valens records while recording it. And that's why I now think the title is kind of fitting. It's got that corny David Lynch humor that makes you simultaneously feel comfort, warmth, nostalgia and horror. This record makes me long for the days when I was scared of monsters underneath my bed. "Lonesome Hunter" is the stand out track here and the most likely song of this bunch to be played on a jukebox in a David Lynch movie. The Carson McCullers reference in this song is also quite fitting. Disturbing, gothic, and brilliant. Enjoy.
Try (link disabled by request, you should buy it though. i did. it's worth every cent.)

No comments:

Post a Comment