Friday, June 17, 2011

Shannon and the Clams--Sleep Talk


I have no recollection of ever purchasing or downloading this record. It's as if it were sent to my iPhone directly from heaven. I can't figure out where it came from, but it just keeps coming up on shuffle pretty much every day. Each one of these songs comes up I think it's some old Crickets record or a Darlene Love track I overlooked on the Phil Spector box set. Although it's far too stripped down to have anything to do with Phil Spector. Nonetheless, every time this mystery music comes on my phone I am both blown away by and completely confused about what I'm listening to. It even has the vintage production that makes me wonder just exactly when it was recorded. This is just really great garage rock stripped down to drums bass and one guitar with too of the strongest vocalists I have heard in this genre of contemporary garage rock. Half of the vox come from one of Hunx and His Punx's punkettes, Shannon Shaw, the other vocalist Cody Blanchard provides some equally impressive singing and songwriting. This is great beach music just in time for summer. I don't know where it came from or why, but I'm so happy the gods bestowed this gift upon me. Stand out tracks include "You Will Always Bring Me Flowers," "Done with You," "Oh Louie," "Half Rat," and "Sleep Talk."


No comments:

Post a Comment